How To Prepare Dandelion Tea? Features Of Brewing Dandelion Tea
Dandelion tea is an herbal infusion made with the roots and/or flowers of the dandelion. It can also be made with the entire plant as all parts of the plant are edible. Though widely recognized as weeds by gardeners, dandelions are packed with nutrients and antioxidants. They contain a lot of phosphorus, potassium, beta-carotene, calcium, and magnesium, which helps to relax you and reduce body pains.
But how do you make tea with it?
How To Make Fresh Dandelion Tea?
To make dandelion tea, you’d need a pot or saucepan and mugs for drinking.
- Step 1: Add a cup of dandelion to a pot or saucepan. You can choose to use just the flowers or the roots, or you can throw all of it in the pan.
- Step 2: Add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, and then take it off the heat.
- Step 3: Leave it out to infuse for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Step 4: Sieve out the dandelion and keep the liquid. Enjoy your tea!
To add your own flavor to this brew, you can try:
- Add more water if the mix is too strong.
- You can also make use of lemon or lime juice to add some extra tanginess or acidity.
- Add a little honey as a sweetener. Another good option for a sweetener is stevia leaf.
How To Make Roasted Dandelion Tea?
It’s also possible to brew tea made of roasted dandelion roots. This type of tea is called dandelion coffee because of its similarity in taste to coffee. You can achieve this type of tea with a few easy steps.
- Step 1: Harvest the roots. You can do this by using a large spade to prevent breaking off the roots. When you get the roots, remove the stems, leaves, and flowers and wash them off with cool water.
- Step 2: Toast the roots in a preheated oven of about 200F. Line the oven pan with parchment paper and leave the roots in for about 3 hours. Rotate them to ensure even heating.
- Step 3: You can choose whether you’ll grind the roots or not. After that, add the roots (ground or otherwise) to a pan of boiling water.
- Step 4: Sieve out the bits of dandelion roots and keep the liquid. Enjoy your tea! Pretty straightforward, right?
What part of the dandelion is used for tea?
You can use all aspects of the dandelion plant to make tea, or you can choose a specific portion (root, leaves, flowers, or stem). The entirety of it contains nutrients and is edible.
How to Make Roasted and Fresh Dandelion tea?
Roasted dandelion tea is made by toasting the roots in an oven and then brewing them in boiling water. As for fresh dandelion tea, you do that by just brewing the plant without roasting.
Can I drink dandelion tea every day?
You can drink dandelion tea every day. It is a natural diuretic and helps aid urination and decrease water retention.
Tags: smooth coffee, what is rooibos tea, chocolate flavored coffee, matcha tea, best decaffeinated tea, Yemen origin legend, hand espresso maker, sugar in coffee, health benefits of hibiscus tea, best ground coffee for moka pot