Herbal tea has gained popularity for a long time as well as coffee, but they are not true teas because they are not derived from Camellia sinensis — the plants used to produce all kinds of tea Herbal tea originates from a blend of leaves, barks, flowers, fruits, and other edibles without any tea plant.
It has served as an alternative beverage for years, and it grew in popularity due to its vibrant flavor. It can be created from various combinations of natural ingredients having unique qualities and benefits. In a chaotic world like this, people have found a way to tap into the relaxing properties of herbal tea for its emotional and mental benefits. Herbal tea benefits have contributed to its popularity as recent research has supported many of herbal's health benefits.
However, there are several herbal tea brands and types to pick from. The way to know your way around the thousands of products available is to understand the intricacies of natural herbal tea. Finding the best herbal teas for yourself can be quite hard but you could refer to our top ten lists of herbal teas if you’re conflicted.
Herbal Tea Features
- Low to No Caffeine: Most herbal teas have little or no caffeine but can still provide enough energy for your body to carry out basic functions. They typically do not have caffeine content, but since you'll have to work with many different ingredients, you never can tell.
- Antioxidants: Herbs are filled with antioxidants that support the immune system and fight against free radicals. Antioxidants can support the body to cure cancer, diabetes and reduce the possibilities of heart disease. Flavonoids and polyphenols present a lot of health benefits for your body.
- Taste: With herbal teas, you get a variety of delicious and aromatic tastes that do not require sweeteners. When several herbs and leaves are mixed, you can develop new exciting flavors and tastes.
Most Popular Teas and Their Flavors
These are the common types of herbal tea:
- Chamomile Tea : Chamomile tea is arguably the most popular type of herbal tea. It is the best tasting herbal tea, and you'd hardly find a tea lover that hasn't tasted it. It's popular for its calming effects and is used as a relaxation and sleeping aid. It is used to settle an upset stomach, and when combined with other herbal products, it could provide great health benefits.
- Ginger Tea: Ginger tea is a popular spicy herbal drink with many health benefits and taste signatures. The tea is made by infusing dried ginger in hot water for a few minutes to dissolve the desired extract into the water. It's popular amongst pregnant women for relieving nausea and motion sickness. It's also proven to have anti-constipation and pain relief properties. A certain study found ginger to be as effective as NSAIDs to relieve period pain.
- Peppermint Tea: Peppermint tea is one of the best herbal tea in the world. It's popular for its signature flavor. It has a minty taste, similar to the flavor in candies, toothpaste, and breath mints. The leaf is used to make caffeine-free herbal tea. It's proven to have antibacterial, antioxidant, and antiviral properties, amongst others. It is known to cure common situations like nausea, indigestion, and stomach pain.
- Rooibos Tea: Rooibos tea is one of the best herbal tea globally and is native to South Africa. The tea was popularized in the 18th century by Dutch settlers of South Africa. It served as an alternative to black tea as black tea was more expensive and perceived as a drink of the elite. There is no sufficient scientific research on this herb, but South Africans have used it for medicinal purposes over the years. However, it is believed to benefit bone health and effective for kidney stones and allergies.
- Lemon Balm Tea: Lemon balm tea is derived from the perennial herb lemon balm from the mint family. The leaves have a similar aroma to lemon and are used to make a variety of herbs. The oil extract is used for flavoring foods and beverages. Lemon balm herbal tea benefits range from anti-aging ingredients and a cure for anxiety, stress, and insomnia as it can help calm the nerves. It's mostly used across other herbal teas for dementia and dyspepsia.
Herbal Tea Benefits
Herbal tea is popular for its several benefits some of which include:
- Healing Properties: Herbal tea benefits the body by providing several healing ingredients to situations like an upset stomach or insomnia. It helps to calm the nerves and cleanse the body as it's full of natural ingredients with several minerals that could be instrumental to body cells.
- Improves Brain Function: Herbal tea contains caffeine and other substances that increase mental alertness and helps the brain refocus. The ingredients have stimulating properties to help improve cognitive function.
- Aids Digestion: The benefits of herbal tea include aiding your body to digest meals easily. It is rich in spearmint and can help you digest food, act as an appetite suppressant, and stop overeating.
- Weight Loss: Herbal tea can be instrumental in your quest to shed some weight. Herbal teas made from ingredients like lemongrass, fennel, or psyllium husk can help you burn fat and boost metabolism.
How To Choose?
There are several types of herbal tea, and picking the best for yourself depends on preference. The best herbal tea, according to popular opinion, might not be the best for you. To find your best type of herbal tea, you need to understand your preference in taste, flavor, color, and the benefits you look forward to deriving from the tea. When picking herbal tea, the likely factors to consider are mainly:
- Flavor and taste;
- Always go for organic herbal tea;
- Check for caffeine if you're sensitive to caffeine.
Picking a tea culture will be very easy if you know the most important criteria to look out for.
Is herbal tea good for you?
Herbal tea is good for you. It has numerous health benefits and helps you relax. Its antioxidant properties are enough to cater to several underlying health processes. You could make it a daily culture and save yourself some subtle little cost on your health.
Is herbal tea healthy?
Herbal tea is a healthy drink. It's popular for the several health benefits it can provide. It's deep-rooted in herbs and ancient medicine and serves several purposes.
What does herbal tea taste like?
Taste is a peculiar property to various herbal teas. A fresh peppermint herbal tea offers a different taste to a sweet-sour hibiscus. You'll get to choose what taste and flavor you love.
Is herbal tea good for weight loss?
Some herbal teas can specifically serve the purpose of weight loss. Some herbal teas can help you shed fat and normalize hormone levels. Chamomile tea and Dandelion tea are one of the most popular teas for weight loss.
Where to buy herbal tea?
With herbal tea brands everywhere around you, you don't have to struggle so much. Check stores around you or popular online stores and find the best tasting herbal tea for you. It’s not the kind of product to even ask around for.
Tags: top rated coffee, Irish coffee recipe, french press coffee maker, tea benefits, benefits of chamomile tea, how to drink green tea for the most benefit, tea from india, how to make strong coffee, earl grey black tea, can you reuse coffee filters