Are you interested in trying rare teas? If you are, you might be interested in trying a natural tea from the holly tree native to the Amazon rainforest, known as Guayusa tea. Like its rich Amazonian culture, Guayusa tea tastes rich in flavor, providing a smooth and earthy taste to each sip.
Plus, for over 2000 years, Organic Guayusa tea has been providing medicinal benefits to many in South America and now to the rest of the world.
What is Guayusa tea?Guayusa leaf tea is an herbal tea from South America, mainly Ecuador. It comes from the leaf of the holly tree in the Amazon rainforest. The scientific name for the plant this tea comes from is Ilex guayusa. The tea has an orange-colored bright hue that kind of looks similar to honey. It also produces a bright, citrus and cinnamon-type taste. Moreover, it also has an aftertaste that is both spicy and sweet. The texture of this tea tends to be somewhat creamy.
Benefits of Guayusa Tea
Guayusa tea health benefits are vast and are widely reported amongst many tea drinkers; the main ones are:
- It might help improve mood and concentration: One of the main guayusa tea benefits is that it contains a similar amount of caffeine to a cup of coffee. It also includes an alkaloid called theobromine which has similar effects to caffeine. These two combined can help boost your mood, increase alertness and concentration.
- It's packed with antioxidants: The best Guayusa tea contains a lot of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, which work together to fight oxidative stress and prevent free radicals. Many studies reveal Guayusa tea has the following antioxidants:
- Gallic acid
- Isobutyric acid
- Ascorbic acid
- B vitamins
Once consumed, all of these compounds can help protect your body against inflammation, diabetes, heart disease, and neurological conditions.
- Aids digestion: Guayusa tea is known to help simplify and streamline your digestive system. In particular, Guayusa can stop inflammation happening in your stomach, preventing associated symptoms such as cramps and bloating. In addition to this, it prevents diarrhea as it stops the intestines from getting inflamed therefore improving digestion.
- Could speed up weight loss: The caffeine content in Guayusa tea could help speed up your weight loss rate. When consuming Guayusa tea, you could potentially burn more calories, and it can sometimes act as an appetite suppressant. However, there is still a lot of scientific research needed to support this.
- Could help manage blood sugar: It's not precisely known how but it's believed that Guayusa tea can help lower blood sugar and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. There have been scientific studies done in mice that support this, showing significantly decreased blood sugar levels and suppressed appetite. However, further human studies are needed to be done.
Origins, Regions of Growing
Guayusa loose leaf tea is exclusive to the Ecuadorian Amazon Rainforest. However, you can still find the tea growing in other parts of South America like Peru and Columbia. It grows from the Holly tree's evergreen shrub and typically grows in the shade. These trees generally are 100 feet and can live up to 100 years. This tea has been drunk for over 2000 years dating back to Ecuador's indigenous tribes. One tribe, in particular, the Jivaro, named it “Night Watchman” as they strongly believed in its benefits to keep you awake and alert. It wasn't unusual for this tribe to wake up in the morning, boil the leaves and tell stories. It's also thought that the Kichwa tribe chewed on the Guayusa leaves to gain energy and become stronger to prevent them from becoming lazy and tired.
Type Of Guayusa Tea
If you're interested in trying the best Guayusa tea, then it comes in the following types:
- Guayusa loose leaf tea - This type of tea contains dried teas from the Holly tree and often comes in a packet for you to place in a tea strainer to brew. The leaves are whole, and they often produce a stronger flavor than other types of Guayusa tea.
- Guayusa tea bags - Guayusa tea bags are an infusion of Guayusa and don't often contain the full plant. Sometimes due to containing other herbs, the strength of this tea might be lower than other variations.
- Mint guayusa tea - There is Guayusa tea that has been combined with mint compounds to produce a refreshing taste and smell. These teas can either be loose-leaf or come in a tea bag with blends.
- Organic Guayusa tea - These are loose leaf teas with nothing added in their fermentation process; they don't have any pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, chemical fertilizers while growing or harvesting. All the processes used to make this tea are natural.
What To Look for In a Guayusa Tea
If you plan on buying Guayusa tea, there are a few things you should consider before buying, such as:
Generally, Guayusa tea is safe to consume in moderate quantities. But because this tea has a large amount of caffeine and stimulants, it is unhealthy and unsafe for young children to consume. Plus, if you drink too much of it, it could cause high blood pressure, an upset stomach, jitters, and more. Similarly, do not drink this tea if you have any sensitivities.
You should always check the Guayusa tea reviews to see if it's effective and useful before buying. When looking at the reviews, look out for the flavor, texture, and aroma. Similarly, look for any complaints to help make your mind up.
Best Guayusa Tea for You
Overall, Guayusa tea is quite a rare tea but tasty one with a range of citrus flavors. It's also a tea that is both spicy and sweet. There's a range of benefits to drinking this, one of which is that it's packed with antioxidants that can help promote heart health, manage blood sugar, speed up weight loss, aid digestion, and more.
Where to buy Guayusa tea?
You can buy Guayusa from many tea stores or online retailers. When buying, make sure you read the label to know the type of tea, origin, and ingredients.
Is Guayusa tea safe?
Guayusa tea has a lot of health benefits like it being full of antioxidants and a high caffeine content that can promote blood sugar regulation, weight loss, increase alertness and help your mood. But it should be drunk in moderation and not too much due to its high caffeine content.
What is Guayusa tea good for?
Guayusa tea is used for a range of things due to the high amount of nutrients it has in the tea. Mainly it contains two essential amino acids that reduce inflammation, encourage relaxation, and improve mood. It also has twice as many antioxidants as green tea.
Tags: purest coffee, instant pot coffee maker, coffee tools, espresso coffee beans, how to make drip coffee, japanese rice tea, top coffee makers, benefits of raspberry leaf tea, cold brew ratio, diy syrups for your coffee